For college students, internships are a prerequisite to be employable in today’s competitive job market. For transitioning veterans, internships are the stepping stones to civilian work experience and work readiness.
An internship is the single most effective way to gain the practical training and career skills you need to bridge the gap between education and employment — and to succeed in the workplace.
GAINING A COMPETITIVE EDGE
PROFESSIONAL BENEFITS OF INTERNING
- Explore a potential career field
- Develop career-specific skills and abilities
- Establish a work history
- Enhance your résumé and portfolio
- Build a network of professional contacts
- Obtain mentoring guidance
- Gain a competitive advantage for employment
- Tap into the “hidden job market”
- Observe professionals and work culture
- Increase market value for higher starting salary
ACADEMIC BENEFITS OF INTERNING
- Apply classroom learning directly
- Confirm the relevance of course work
- Validate career choice and prevent costly mistakes
- Possibly earn academic credit (but you’ll pay for them)
- Gain an advantage for graduate school admission
PERSONAL BENEFITS OF INTERNING
- Prepare for life after graduation
- See what abilities you really have
- Improve interpersonal communication skills
- Boost self-confidence
- Reduce the stress of graduation
- Have some fun along the way!
WE’RE RAISING THE BAR ON INTERNSHIPS
Four ways we support students
Ensuring that every college student, returning veteran and adult learner has access to a meaningful internship.
Standardizing internship quality through rigorous program certification, providing interns with a marketable advantage to secure the job they want upon graduation.
Empowering students to take charge of their internships and careers through on-campus and workplace educational programs.